In traditional markets, the amount of consulting needed to achieve an end product is smaller than the amount of revenue the finished product will bring.
In mobile computing, this has reversed. A press release by the German market research company research2guidance now contains the following, somewhat alarming statement:
The development service market today is already twice as big as the app download market.
The market for app development services, including application creation, management, distribution and extension services, will grow in value to US$100 billion in 2015. In only a year and a half after the launch of the Apple App Store the application developer market overtook the app download market in revenue size.
Given the ever-increasing amount of free applications, one can state that the app is on the way to become the next advertising channel (rather than a productive tool).
What do you think?
- Research: Market for mobile app development services reached $US 20.5 billion in 2011
- Indian App development market to grow beyond $227 million in 2012
- Ovi Store beats Apple App Store on average downloads per app
- Mobile app downloads to reach 98 billion by 2015
- App gives advertising revenue back to users in “lottery raffle”