The Cyanogen Mod, which liberated most of the smartphone world from it’s woes, had made a debut entry on the TouchPad. You read it correct ladies and gentlemen, CyanogenMod 9 Alpha 0.
If you thought CyanogenMod 7 was great, this alpha is *two* CyanogenMods better. That’s right, introducing CyanogenMod 9 for Touchpad, Alpha 0! That’s a “zero” as in “zero hardware-accelerated video”, “zero camera”, and “zero support!”
There’s one other zero we’d like to mention. Zero reasons to not give you the source code. So, for the first time, we’re making ALL the source for the HP Touchpad for CyanogenMod 9 available for you to build CyanogenMod 9 yourself from scratch.
So that should be read as a yayyyyyy. But there is something (somethings to be more precise) that still do not work:
FORGET WHAT WORKS. WHAT *DOESN’T* WORK?
Yeah, let’s focus on the negative. Some (but not all) things that DO NOT WORK:
- Hardware Video (OMX). As a result, Netflix does not work, YouTube works only only in non-HD videos.
- Audio is a mess. The microphone does not work. Work on the current libaudio solution has halted because we will eventually switch to a CAF libaudio.
- Camera does not work. The only libcamera.so that we have is from froyo and its closed source. There is a wrapper for QCOM gingerbread libcamera libraries that could likely be used as a basis to get our camera working.
- Market filters prevent some apps from being installed (this can partly solved by switching back to standard DPI settings(120, 160, 240). The current build is using 160 which fixes the market but makes everything look ugly and low resolution.
- Titanium Backup crashes the kernel. There’s an investigation in progress…There are reports that older versions do work.
- Most of the hardware problems from CM7 still exist in this CM9 alpha build.
- Gapps intended for CM7/Gingerbread will not work in CM9/ICS. If you choose to install GAPPS then you’ll need to get an updated compilation
- USB file transfers use MTP or PTP in Ice Cream Sandwich and Honeycomb. Traditional storage mounting is not supported in the Touchpad build.
You can give it a try by visiting http://rootzwiki.com/topic/15509-releasealpha0-cyanogenmod-9-touchpad/